Reports say that a fight has broken out between British broadcasters and Buckingham Palace over unedited footage from the ceremonies marking the death of Queen Elizabeth II.
The Guardian says that broadcasters and the palace are in a fight over the record of the historic events. This is because the palace told media outlets that they could only make a one-hour edited version of the ceremonies, which took place over many days, to use in the future.
The newspaper said that Britain’s main TV stations would only be able to show “up to 12 minutes of footage from the hour-long Westminster Abbey funeral service, 12 minutes from the Windsor Castle committal service, and only a few minutes from each of the different vigils that took place.”
The royal household would look over the final versions and think about “whether or not to reject any proposed additions.” It was said that submissions had to be in by Monday.
Power of veto
This power of veto makes people talk about censorship since some of the candid moments on the recordings could be seen as showing the royal family in a bad light.
No one knows what is happening with the dispute right now. Newsweek tried to get an answer from Buckingham Palace.
All of the important things that happened between the Queen’s death at age 96 on September 8 and her funeral at Windsor Castle on September 19 were shown on British TV and streamed live around the world on different channels.
Most of the footage that might be restricted is likely to be from St. James’s Palace, Westminster Abbey, St. George’s Chapel, Windsor, and St. George’s Chapel, Windsor.
To film in the other religious spaces, you would need permission from the palace because they are “royal peculiars,” which means they are not under the control of the church and only answer to the monarch, in this case, King Charles III.
>>> The Redmi Note 12 series launch date and key features have been leaked
So, it’s possible that permission to film the ceremonies in these rooms came with the stipulation that the footage could only be shown again with permission from the palace.
The wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton, which took place at Westminster Abbey in 2011, is likely to have been recorded in the same way. After the ceremony, a shortened version of it could be bought from the BBC and watched on the royal family’s YouTube channel.
Several clips from news reports of events
Even though no one knows the exact reason for the decision, several clips from news reports of events after the queen’s death led to criticism of the royal family.
In the days after the Queen died, Charles, the new king, got angry about pens on two occasions that were recorded and widely shared.
The first thing that happened was caught on camera at St. James’s Palace during the King’s Accession Council. In the throne room of the palace, where the privy councilors were gathered, Charles signed the official documents that began his reign.
For this, a small desk was set up with a tray of pens and a big silver inkstand on it. As Charles sat down to sign his papers, he yelled at an assistant to take away the pens. But just as the pen was taken away, Prince William asked for one.
Reports: Manners cost nothing
“Manners cost nothing!” wrote one Twitter user in response to the incident, after a clip that had been shared online had been watched more than 19 million times in 24 hours. Another person said, “It took him more effort to wave his hand a dozen times than to move it himself.”
As the King signed the visitors’ book at Hillsborough Castle in Northern Ireland, a second pen-related outburst was caught on camera. After an ink-leaking fountain pen got all over the king’s hands, he was heard saying, “Oh God, I hate this pen.”
“Can’t stand this bloody thing!” he said as he walked away, adding, “[It’s] what they do every stinking time.”
In another clip, Queen Camilla seems to be checking her nails during a ceremony at Westminster Hall, and Mike Tindall looks at his watch during a vigil at the lying-in-state.
Other viral videos that could be seen as too personal showed how emotional royal family members were, especially at the Queen’s State Funeral.
The palace could discuss whether it is in the public interest to show footage of Prince Edward, Sophie, Countess of King Charles, and Meghan Markle crying during the day’s events.
So far, Buckingham Palace has not said anything about what The Guardian said. As of September 27, news footage from some of the ceremonies honoring the Queen’s life can still be streamed online from the BBC and Sky News, among other places.